Friday, January 06, 2006

"Something needs to be said," says young person

Young people who wear boat shoes should be forcibly sterilized. We need to be honest as a society and recognize that many people (namely me) feel that if you dress like a retiree before you’re 30, it’s better for all concerned if you are not allowed to reproduce.

I would like to extend the same argument to 22 year old individuals from ‘youth’ political clubs who suggest that young people should be forced to ‘help out’ society in a compulsory, conscription-style capacity. At least the Young Liberals and boat shoe-wearers make themselves known with cow bells and plumes of brimstone, but Sam Dastyari of Young Labor NSW - where’s the heads up?

Between a job, study and hours spent in thoughtful reflection over what it means to be GenY in this crazy, mixed-up thing we call life, someone else’s grandmother can change her own nappy. Let me suggest that between volunteering while at school and uni, playing in sports teams and having multiple jobs, my education – like that of many people I know (who still try and make an occasional nod towards a social life) – is well-rounded enough.

We don’t need another well-meaning but out of touch politician attempting to impose his or her own morale yardstick on society through policy. Sam, you should be young enough to know better. If I wanted to feel more socially obligated than I already do, I’d bring my mother out of the medically induced coma and listen to advice about my love life.

Now get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home